About Me

My photo
Need some kitchen inspiration? Try one of my recipes, or contact me to host your own Epicure Cooking Class. I've been an Independent Epicure Consultant since 2006 and I love sharing recipe ideas for these great products. Use the links at the side to sign up for my customer newsletter or to place an order online.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

HOMEMADE YOGURT (SLOW COOKER)

I love Greek yogurt, but it's expensive to buy! Here's a cheap and easy way to make your own yogurt.

4 c. milk (I used 2%)
1/4 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. skim milk powder

Pour milk into slow cooker and turn on low heat. Heat for about 3 hours. Unplug slow cooker and let it sit for another 3 hours. Scoop out about 2 c. of warm milk and mix it with plain yogurt and skim milk powder until smooth. Pour back into the slow cooker. Keep the slow cooker unplugged, and wrap a thick bath towel all around it to keep the heat in. Let it sit for 8 hours. Stir yogurt and store in clean containers in the fridge. If you want to thicken it like Greek yogurt, put a colander over a bowl and line it with cheesecloth. Pour yogurt into the colander and let it strain. The liquid that comes out is the whey, and you'll be left with thick, creamy yogurt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment